Monday, November 16, 2009

Thoughts on Web2.0 tools in schools - good, bad and the ugly?

I have personally and academically evolved my thoughts regarding the use of not only computers but specifically Web 2.0 tools in the class. 

The Good

Students are already using the web in ways that are not academic (as evidenced in a section of college comp that I'm teaching this semester).   Use of these tools when used in a school setting, through the lens of curriculum and pedagogy, Web 2.0 tools I could see as being an extremely effective tool of the everyday classroom. 

The Bad

Teachers not being 'up to date' with the new tech tools, schools, principals, and administrations not being open to the use of these tools and these web based (typically free) tools being blocked from the schools network. 

The Ugly

Fears of being the only teacher who wants to use these tech tools in a school and not being supported by co-teachers and administrations.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Vanessa,
I have to agree with everything you said. These are all things that I have thought about too.
Alison

fcragin said...

When I hear about the issues in K-12 schools it makes me sad. Luckily, we at the higher education level are past that. In fact, if there is any issue about technology is the wish to use that which is not ready for prime time - a challenge to me and my colleagues, but better than hostility. Hopefully this will improve over the next few years as it did for us.